“As many as 20% of mortgages could go into arrears if the economic situation in Canada does not improve, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp.’s Even Siddall said”. Also, “The CMHC sees housing prices declining between nine and 18 per cent over the next 12 months. Those estimates are loosely in line with an earlier projection by DBRS Morningstar, a credit rating agency, says which says housing prices could fall between 10 and 15 per cent by 2022.” Therefore, instead of buying an existing home, it seems a good idea for first time home owners to build themselves their first home.
Source: ‘Bloody terrifying’: COVID-19 will raise household debt levels and ‘drag on GDP growth,’ CMHC warns
The first decision you need to make when starting an ecological life style is to choose the right small-footprint house, and also to decide if you will build your home yourself or you will hire others to build it. Usually people hire construction companies because of the complex processes involved when building a home (hiring an architect to make a design that suits you, then hiring a project manager to manage the whole construction project, who will handle the subcontracting of the different specialists and the procurement of the adequate materials, etc.).
If you want to opt for building yourself, our recommendation is to use one Estonian EZ LOG structure DIY kit because of their innovative DIY approach, large selection of designs, low cost of acquisition, and fast assembly time that can be done by regular people, not to mention that it is a great way to participate in the construction process with your own hands, which will give you a boost on your self-esteem…
EZ LOG Structures has a large selection of models/sizes of eco-friendly base structures that suits different family size requirements, and it can be assembled in a very short amount of time with no special tools (1-3 days depending on the size of the structure), and are beautiful to the eye. This short animation shows how easy could be to build your own cabin:
More about EZ LOG Structures
- ECOSOL is an EZ LOG Structures distributor for Quebec in the National Capital Region, and in Lac-Sainte Marie. Delivery throughout all Quebec is possible. Contact us for details.
- Do you want to know more about the assembly process?– watch a cabin assembly vdeo, a larger cabing assembly video, and a chalet assembly animation.
- Check-out in our ECO-LIFE Ecosystem – A quick guide to beginners an analysis of how you can save up to 67% of the total cost and up to 75% of the construction time to build your home using an EZ LOG Structure kit. We analyzed five selected models (from the smallest to a large one), and added estimations for including Solar Energy, too !
- Check how you can set your Bunkie shed for living on it during winter time !
- EZ LOG Structures’ Ontario Web site (models available for Quebec): www.ezlogontario.ca
- EZ LOG Structures’ USA Web Site (mode information for each model: technical drawings, etc.): www.ezlogstructures.com
Recommended Eco-friendly technologies
Once you have your base home structure built, it is time to start adding ECO-friendly features. You may want to consider to use a few from the following Ecological technologies list that we have compiled for your easy access:
- AQUAPONICS (growing your own vegetables & fishes in an organic, closed-loop ecosystem)
- BATTERIES (from lead acid, to Lithium-Ion, to Super-capacitors)
- ELECTRIC BIKES (eBikes; see how Brushless motors work)
- LED LIGHTING home applications (the most energy saving lighting technology available)
- LINUX OPERATING SYSTEM (free and virus-free Windows alternative)
- PERMACULTURE (fundamental framework for Sustainability)
- SOLAR GENERATOR (400W Solar Panels, 200Ah Battery Bank, 2000W inverter)
- SOLAR HEATING & COOLING (passive design principles to heat and cool a building with the sun radiation)
- SOLAR INVERTERS (explanation of different technologies available for solar panels)
- SOLAR PANELS (see how photovoltaic cells works and are use to build solar panels)
- SOLAR THERMAL TECHNOLOGY (Heating, Cooling and Energy Storage)
- SOLAR WATER HEATERS (see how solar water heaters are made)
- RAMP PUMP (high head pumping with no electricity)
- SUBMERSIBLE PUMP (high head pumping, widely used on solar installations)
- TROMPE PUMP (compressed air with no electricity, ideal for pond aeration and aquaponic systems)
- WOOD GAS stoves (very efficient stoves that don’t produce smoke)
- WOOD GASIFIER GENERATOR (syngas production out of wood for cooking, running an engine, etc.)
* * * * *
If you have questions or you would like to receive our support for adopting any of these technologies feel free to contact us. We will be happy to assist you !